For over one hundred years, Denman Island was home to a typical red-railinged Government Dock which projected out from the shoreline south of the Denman West ferry terminal. After years of attrition, the uncared for structure became unsafe for use and was eventually demolished in the 1990’s, leaving Denman Island without a community dock for small boat access.
Realizing the need to provide safe access for boating and emergency use should the BC Ferry service be interrupted, the Denman Island Residents Association (DIRA) provided a solution.
Chaired and directed by Denman resident John Johnston, the Dock Committee of dedicated local residents spent five years planning, securing funding and creating the infrastructure required for the project, realizing completion of the dock and its attractive shore access area with a Grand Opening on August 20, 2011.
A press release from the Island Economic Coastal Trust in July 2010 stated that the Community Dock “will feature space for transient watercraft moorage, commercial fishermen, aquaculture, as well as the opportunity for use by new businesses such as tour/charter operators and kayak rentals. The facility will also include some complementary upland development featuring a market area that will provide opportunities for local artists, artisans and food vendors to market their wares directly to the visiting public.”
Rules/Regulations for Community Dock Site
1. NO FIRES ALLOWED.
2. NO OVERNIGHT PARKING – NO CAMPING.
3. NO DIVING OR JUMPING FROM WALKWAYS OR RAMP.
1. OUTSIDE OF DOCK AT RAMP END, FIRST 30’ IS LOADING/UNLOADING ONLY WITH 20 MIN. MAX.
2. BALANCE OF OUTSIDE OF DOCK- 60’ FOR VISITOR MOORAGE ONLY C/W SIGNAGE AND RED PAINT.
3. NORTH END OF DOCK (14’) COULD BE FOR DINGYS OR AGAIN FOR SMALL VISITOR BOAT.
4. DEFINITION OF A DINGY: A SMALL UNDER 10’ WATERCRAFT THAT IS USED TO TRANSIT BETWEEN THE MOTHER SHIP & SHORE OR A DOCK.
1. $1.00 PER FT. PER DAY FOR VISITOR MOORAGE. THE FIRST 6 HRS FREE, THEN THE DAY RATE APPLIES.
2. MOORING IS LIMITED TO 2 NIGHTS ONLY, THEN MUST MOVE OFF FOR A MINIMUM OF 24 HRS.
3. DINGYS ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE SAME RATES AS OTHER BOATS ($1.00 PER FT.) TYING UP, BUT NOT LIMITED TO 2 DAY TIME LIMIT. BOATS ANCHORING OFF & USING THE DOCK TO LEAVE THEIR DINGY FOR MORE THAN 6 HRS NEED TO PAY THE USER FEE ALSO.
MOORAGE FEE PAYMENT:
1. THERE IS A PAYMENT BOX AT THE TOP OF THE RAMP – ENVELOPES WITH OWNERS NAME, VESSEL #, PHONE# OF OWNER ETC. TO BE DEPOSITED.
2. SIGNAGE AT TOP OF RAMP DETAILS REGULATION & RATES.
3. ALSO ON SIGNAGE AT TOP OF RAMP IS A NOTICE THAT FAILURE TO PAY MOORAGE MEANS THE VESSEL IS SUBJECT TO TOWING WITHOUT NOTICE TO OWNER. TOWING & STORAGE FEES WILL APPLY.
EMERGENCY EVENT OCCURANCE:
THE DOCK COMMITTEE WOULD HAVE FULL DISCRETION TO REQUIRE VESSEL OWNERS TO VACATE THE DOCK REGARDLESS OF MOORAGE PAID.