Whenever you go to a new place, there are always details that make life easier if you know them in advance, or at least know where to find them! Following are some names and numbers of note to help out in that regard.
There is no bank on Denman Island. There is however, a branch of the Union Bay Credit Union on Hornby Island in the retail area near the ferry terminal. You’ll also find a handy ATM machine at the Denman Island General Store.
- Denman Medical Clinic – 3351 Piercy Road – 250.335.2260
- Denman Island Volunteer Fire Department – Call 911 – Non-emergency # is 250.335.0345
- RCMP – Call 911
Non Emergency Numbers To Know
- Arts Denman – 250.335.1224
- BC Ferries – (Buckley Bay) 250.335.0323 (all) 1.800.223.3779
- BC Hydro – (general) 1.800.224.9376 (power outages) 1.800.769.3766
- Comox Valley Transit – Bus Service from Buckley Bay to Courtenay – 250.339.5453
- Denman Island Community School – 250.335.2324
- Denman Island Post Office – 250.335.1636
- Denman Island Women’s Outreach Society – 250.335.2421
Of course when you’re going to visit a new place, especially if you’ll be staying for a while, it’s nice to know what shopping facilities are available. Denman’s General Store boasts a wide selection of groceries, including frozen foods, dairy products, gourmet coffee beans, condiments and household necessities. They also stock quite a nice variety of spirits, beer, wine, cider, and coolers as a BC Liquor Rural Agency Store. Local organic practices produce and pasture-raised meat is also featured. Other shopping opportunities in the Denman Village area include Abraxas Books and Gifts (including pottery), Denman Craft Shop, and Denman Hardware Emporium. Should you have a craving for fresh seafood, be sure to drop into the Fanny Bay Oysters Seafood Shop and also check out the excellent array of specialties at Weinberg’s Good Food beside the ferry terminal in Buckley Bay either coming over or leaving Denman!